Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hello!

Great idea! Thanks Barbara, for sending the email letting us know about this. So, a post from my blog over on Wordpress - sharing a recipe!

Random Recipe- Manny's Manly Meat Sauce, by Rachel Ray




Okay, so every once in a while it hits. Domesticity. I do not cook. My dear husband, Keith, has the cooking skills. I can bake, make candies, decorate and clean like there's no tomorrow (when i absolutely have to, anyway). But cooking? Geez... I don't know what happens but the lame gene comes out and most of my stuff is seriously bland or over spiced, underdone or hockey-puck. No happy medium. Thank god my husband has the talent. He's been hunting this weekend with his friend Jesse and coming home tonight around 9pm. While he was away, it hit! The domesticity urge. Coulda stamped today... but no. I cleaned the house. I played with my Photoshop Elements (like my new banner?). I watched Hot Fuzz on pay per view (funny!). AND... I am making dinner right now. I am hoping that since I followed the darn recipe my friend Linda recommended, it'll turn out. Bolognese sauce is my favorite red pasta sauce. If this works, I'll be so happy.

[AND NOW.... i'll put on my wine snob hat: The wine i'm drinking with this, as well as tossed in the sauce, is Kenwood 2004 Zinfandel, a California wine from Sonoma County. I bought 2 bottles as it was on sale for $9.99 and if you think you can't get a good bottle of vino w/out breaking the bank- you are sadly mistaken! This particular wine is one of those awesome bargain finds and I'm lucky to find a bottle or 2 at the store... since it's usually sold out! It's not too heavy, and has a delightful bouquet, smooth finish and dances on the tongue. Impressed with all that wonderful wine terminology? I looked it up... lol. Simpler terms? ME LIKEY VERY MUCHY! YUM. GIMME MORE!]

For those of you who, like me, can't cook and are always looking for a recipe that you could actually fool everyone with... here ya go. It's a Rachel Ray recipe so it's quick and easy. And my friend Linda recommends spicing it up a little by using Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes in the can if you can find it. SHE can cook (sadly, she is CONSTANTLY bringing in her dishes as work, force feeding us into porky-dom), so I'd listen to her if I were you.
Oh ya... Bon Appetit!

Manny's Manly Meat SauceRecipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil,
1 turn around the pan in a slowstream
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound ground sirloin (90 percent lean ground beef)
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed under the flat of your knife with the heal of your hand
1 /2 teaspoon allspice, a sprinkle or 2 pinches (secret ingredient- very important!)
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 medium portobello mushroom cap, finely chopped
1 /2 cup (a couple of glugs) red wine
3 /4 cup beef broth or stock
1 (28 to 32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, (fire roasted if you can find them)
A handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 pound rigatoni, cooked to al dente
Parmesan or Romano, grated, for garnish

Heat a deep skillet or heavy-bottomed pot over medium high heat. Go once around the pan with a slow stream of extra virgin olive oil. Add crushed pepper flakes and infuse oil 10 seconds. Add beef, onions, garlic, and seasonings. Brown meat for 5 minutes; add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more. Add wine and reduce 1 minute. Add broth and tomatoes to sauce and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes to combine flavors. Toss pasta with half of the sauce and serve with extra sauce for topping. Pass grated Parmesan or Romano and warm crusty bread at the table.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow - for someone who doesn't cook you're doing a great job of finding a tasty looking recipe - Way to Go! I'm definately going to try this one, and the wine too, of course. For Bob and Mike I'll be sure to drink the wine WITH the meal as well! I enjoyed your entry - it made me laugh!

Brother Bob said...

Hmm..."Go once around the pan with a slow stream." I do that every morning, but I use a bowl, not a pan.

Brother Bob

Barbara said...

OK - so I made this tonight and it was good, especially the wine. For you, Bob and Mike, I drank wine while cooking and eating both. I couldn't find your wine, Denise, but got Pinot Noir which was great. Smoking Loon brand, it was a cool bottle! The sauce was great, had a kick to the taste. But i only had diced tomatoes instead of crushed so my sauce was thin. Then I didn't have tomatoe paste to thicken it so I added tomatoe sauce, did thicken it a bit. (Having a hard time typing, keep making mistakes) I don't think I like rigatoni so I'll definately make the sauce again but use a smaller noodle. Thanks, Denise, for the neat night of cooking and tasting and eating and drinking wine.

Tom & Linda said...

You cracked me up!! I am going to make the sause tonight and of course have wine too. I will let you know how it turned out.

Barbara said...

It's even better the next day! I used the left overs over turkey cutlets dredged in Italian Shake and Bake with cheese. Ummm...

Denise said...

LOL- i ate it for a week until it was all gone... definitely gets better as it "ages". Glad you liked it!!
d;)