Thursday, September 20, 2007

BRAINS : )

Hey, so I am taking a neuroscience class as one of my grad school classes right now - We basically have to memorize and be able to label/identify all the parts of the brain and spinal cord - - Our professor has his M.D. in neurology and then he got his Ph.D. and now he is part of our hearing, speech, and language sciences department at Ohio University - anyways, so he has connections being an M.D., so we get to go to the med school twice a week to work with brains in order to apply what we have learned (which is seriously awesome and fun - we're one of only 2 or 3 speech pathology departments to still work with actual human parts in the whole nation!)
So today in class I took pics of them to help my friends and I to study for our upcoming midterm - I posted them to my flickr so I could share them with everyone:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelsey825/


**Disclaimer - i would consider these "graphic" images, so you might not want to be eating while you view them :) enjoy!

11 comments:

T Pot said...

Cool Kelsey!
Actually, Donna enjoyed the pictures more than I did!

Brother Bob said...

Well, I'd like to be the first to say GROSS! Actually your pictures reminded me of the exhibition we took the girls to recently at the Orlando Science Center called "Body". It consisted of a whole bunch of dead Chinese people with their skin removed and all the different parts, systems, etc. exposed. Now that was GROSS!!!!!!

kelsey said...

Good, I'm glad Donna enjoyed them :) I guess you have to be in the health sciences/medical field to truly enjoy them : )

Sorry they grossed you out Uncle Bob, that was Erik's reaction too :)

kelsey said...

Oh, and I forgot to add that brains cost $250 each.

Brother Bob said...

OHHHH...that explains it. Neil regularly sold plasma while a student at FSU. I think several of my students have discovered how much they can get for their brains!

jase said...

how heavy was the brain?

Brother Bob said...

Now thats a wierd question!

T Pot said...

He ain't heavy...he's my brother.
(sorry, I couldn't resist...)

T Pot said...

Oh and...
The average adult human brain weights about 3 lbs.
So that's about 83 bucks a pound!

kelsey said...

yeah, Uncle Tom you are right - it's 3 lbs, which is how they feel when you handle them -- the interesting thing is that when your brain is in your skull it is actually floating in cerebral spinal fluid, so it makes it lighter (when we put our brains back in their little buckets when we're done working with them you can feel how much lighter they are in the liquid) : )

Tom & Linda said...

Bob, I have to agree GROSS and you took the girls to see dead bodies GROSS again!!!